To promote and develop best practices for the protection of and support to witnesses – enhancing whistleblower protection through the development of best practices and to promote the implementation of those practices in eight EU Member States
The project is coordinated by the Transparency International Secretariat in Berlin and developed in partnership with TI National Chapters in ten EU Member States – Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Romania, Slovakia
Outputs and outcomes
- National analysis within a set of comparable analyses on national whistleblower protection legislation and its implementation in eight EU Member States (Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Estonia, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Romania and Slovakia).
- Expert roundtable meeting on whistleblower protection.
- A report on best practice for whistleblower protection promoted to stakeholders.
- Operation of hotline where whistleblowers can receive information and advice
- Comprehensive information on whistleblower protection legislation and its implementation will be available for each one of the eight EU Member States
- Applicable best practice for whistleblower protection will have been promoted to a wide range of key actors.
- Whistleblowers/ potential whistleblowers will have been provided with specialise guidance and practical options for blowing the whistle in their specific countries
TI Ro’s role in the project
Input in establishing common terms of reference for analysis of national whistleblower protection legislation and its implementation. Conducting analysis of national whistleblower protection legislation and its implementation
Sharing and discussing findings of national analyses as well as best practice on whistleblower protection from other EU and non-EU countries (e.g., France, Switzerland, UK, US) at an expert roundtable meeting.
Promoting the best practice report through activities such as targeted meetings with policy makers and business associations, media appearances, articles, websites, additional events / seminars, presentations (concrete activities to be decided on at the promotion planning meeting).
Providing whistleblowers with access to centre hotlines and individualised legal advice.
Total project budget
European Commission, Directorate General Justice, Freedom and Security